The roof is one of the most important structures of your home. A solid roof keeps the water out of your house and protects you when the sun is shining brightly. In fact, the roof does not only protect you and the inside structure of your home from the outside element, but it also has aesthetic functions. So, it is a must to keep the roof in excellent condition at all times. It can cost a fortune for homeowners if they neglect their roof. If the situation calls for, you need to re-roof your home.
When re-roofing your home, there are a few important things you need to keep in mind. These are the following:
1. Timing – When is the best time to reroof your home? When reroofing a home, timing is crucial. Replacing a roof is an expensive project and you won’t invest in a new roof if you don’t need it in the first place. It all boils down to inspecting your roof. The best time to check your roof is during spring. During such time, winter months are already over. Check your roof to see if the wintertime has damaged your roof. If there is damage, then you can begin the reroofing project because summer months are approaching. So, there ample of time to get the job done. When inspecting the roof, you need to watch out for the following:
a. Check the exterior surface of the roof, especially the laps of the roof sheets where rusting and holes are most likely to take place.
b. Check the roof for rusted or missing screws or nails.
c. Check the roof sheets for rust or for water coming into the home.
2. Hire the best professional – Roofing work is something that you should entrust only in the hands of experts. If you are the DIY buff, then you can do the reroofing on your own. However, if you don’t have any experience replacing a roof or the work is too complex for you to handle, it is always best to hire the service of roofing professionals. If you are going to search around, you will notice that there are so many roofing companies to choose from and each of them claims to be the best in the industry. To narrow down your choice, you should do the following:
a. Create a list of roofing professionals around the area.
b. Find out how long they have been in the business.
c. Look for warranty/guarantee.
d. Look for testimonials from the past clients.
e. Check for licenses and membership to professional organizations such as Master Builders and so on. Do not just take their words. Make sure you ask for certificates or any proofs.
f. Check the price/quotes.
g. Ask for referrals or recommendations from someone you know who has had some re-roofing projects before.
3. Permit/License – Know beforehand if you need a permit to begin your reroofing project. Usually, the reroofing project does not need a license but a BSA insurance might be necessary. You might also need to secure an asbestos license and so you have to notify the Workplace Health and Safety. Roofing contractors are aware of these requirements. To be sure you are not breaking any laws, the best thing to do is to contact the relevant department in your area. Other important paperwork includes the following:
. Building permit – A roofing work usually requires a building permit so as to ensure that the contractor strictly follows the building code. Without the building permit, your roofing warranty will be voided.
b. Written contract – You have to put everything into writing. The contract should specify the work details, products, cost, and other important details.
c. Letter to the contractor’s insurance – There should be a letter addressed to you coming from the insurance carrier of your roofing contractor. The letter confirms that the reroofing project is covered under the compensation and liability plan of the worker.
4. Make sure you use the best roofing materials – Your roof is one of the most important structures in your home. To see to it that you will not redo your roof again or at least not to reroof sooner, you should go for top-notch roofing materials. High-quality shingles last for 50 years and have the longest product warranty. Not to mention, they are aesthetically appealing. For sealing the joints, you might want to use a copper flashing. It is highly durable. It is more expensive than aluminum but is certainly worth your penny.
5. Include other additional features – another thing you should include in your list before re-roofing your home is to include additional roofing features such as the chimney, ventilation, and guttering system, to name a few. Check if the chimney needs repair. Usually, if the roof is damaged, the chimney gets damaged too. Check the guttering system if it needs to be replaced. Inspect the soffit and fascia for the presence of any forms of damage. Basically, you need to check the entire structure for any damage.
The roof is one of the structures in your home that needs to be in perfect shape at all times. Any problems in the roof can affect not only the integral component of the roof but as well as the entire structure of the home. Ventilation and insulation will be affected. It also compromises the health and safety of the people living inside the home. Regularly checking the roofing structure is a must.
Reroofing should be done when deemed necessary. Reroofing is a daunting, time-consuming, and costly undertaking. So, when the time comes to replace your roof, make sure you entrust the work in the hands of experts. Their service is a bit expensive but you will surely get the value of your money. After all, it is your roof that is at stake. A bit of extra for your roof can surely go a long way. It will prevent any future roofing problems that might cost you even more in the long run.